This afternoon was to be the second of the monthly 'Afternoon Teas' that I help organise for the DROP IN CENTRE in our village.The afternoon is aimed at people who find themselves alone on a Sunday, which tends to be a very family-orientated day and therefore can be very long and boring for those on their own.
I spent the morning putting up the Christmas tree and by this afternoon,with my merry band of helpers, had the place looking like a 'proper' tearoom as people started arriving. The urn wasn't far off boiling point, the tree lights were twinkling and people were just settling down for a chat ...when POW!- the electricity went off with a BANG! At first we thought it was an actual powercut but on checking, discovered that it was the fuse box...bearing in mind that the Centre is in one of the original village houses with very old wiring, we had basically overloaded it!
Whilst waiting for someone to come and look at it, more people kept arriving and we had to keep apologising for the lack of light, heat and tea. When it became apparent that it was a bigger job than the local handyman could cope with, panic was starting to set in...until I remembered the Cava (sparking wine) and fruit juice left over from the Christmas Bazaar and the tealights which had ,up until now, been for purely ornamental purposes. The outcome was a very pleasant afternoon, which everyone seemed to enjoy.
To read more seasonal stories why not pop over to SIAN'S BLOG. On a personal note I would just like to thank Sian for another year of being encouraged to record my own stories, and to everyone else for sharing their stories too.
Thanks for dropping by!
Take care of you