http://alisonslife-in-the-slow-lane.blogspot.com/ Life in the Slow Lane: STORYTELLING SUNDAY......BUBBLE PAINTING

Sunday 6 May 2012

STORYTELLING SUNDAY......BUBBLE PAINTING

Today  is STORYTELLING SUNDAY in the little part of the blogosphere that I frequent....bloggers from all over the globe, brought together by the the lovely SIAN over at From High in the Sky, to share a story on the first Sunday of every month. It can be a long story, a short story, a story with or without a photograph or a layout...Sian welcomes everyone with open arms, and then we all do a bit of blog hopping, reading each other's tales....it's fun!- if you don't already do so, why not come along and take part?

Mine is a short story this month (inspired by THIS STORY by DEB last month..thanks Deb!)

Many moons ago, when Stuart had started school, and Kirsty was about a year old, I was a Playleader.....the older more mature  mums among us will remember the pre-Nursery days when we took our children to Playgroup for a couple of mornings a week, then rushed off to enjoy a blissful few hours of child-free cleaning, shopping, coffee-drinking or whatever your 'mission' was for those few precious hours (unless of course they were 'on duty' and had to stay to help. Well, I was one of the ladies the children were left with, and I have to say, I loved it...for those of you who don't know, working with children has always been my 'thing', and it's one of the things I miss most about living here in Spain. ...anyway I digress.

For the two years before Kirsty went to school, she was one of our Playgroup children...though she also attended another one, so that she had some experience without mum being there...and also so that I could have a few childfree hours of my own.


One of the favourite activities at our Playgroup was 'Bubble Painting'. 
The idea was to suck up a little paint in a straw, then to blow it down onto the paper and make prints similar to these....

....., but fun! It wasn't an everyday activity, but maybe we did it every three weeks or so.


On the first morning we bubble-painted when Kirsty was with us, my co-worker (and friend) Janette was overseeing the activity..and suddenly she let out a shout for me...I ran through (we had two rooms-a 'Quiet Room' and a 'Noisy Room') to discover Kirsty coughing and spluttering, with all this blue paint spurting out of her mouth and nose! Yes...I had the only child we had ever had, who forgot to stop sucking!! Janette and I just took one look at each other and burst out laughing....I hasten to add if it had been any other child we would probably reacted differently....but poor Kirsty got laughed at! I dragged her off to the toilets to clean her up ....and to try and convince her that we weren't really laughing at her, just at the fact it had never happened before (nor did it happen again) and that the fact she belonged to me made it even funnier!

She has never forgotten the incident, or quite forgiven us for laughing at her, but she does join in with the laughter when we tell the story!

To read (or, indeed join in with a story of your own) head on over HERE...and thanks again Sian, for the encouragement to get another story written down!

Thanks for dropping by!
take care of you
Alison xx






44 comments:

  1. Such a cute story...I'm sure she will never let you forget. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a funny story! So glad Kirsty joined in the laughter these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Kirsty! TBC's nursery claim-to-fame story is that he was the child who shoved 2 plastic beads up his nose and, yep, they got stuck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can sympathise with Kirsty - my sister and I have several stories which end with 'but Mum was laughing too much to do anything to help' - I must remember these for future storytelling sundays

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, now that is a funny one Alison! I love bubble painting and TFYO did quite a bit of it last year at pre-school ... she came home with the tell tale signs of paint around her mouth ... so, I am sure Kirsty is not the only child to have had a little too much paint to work with!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always loved working with children too and can remember doing bubble painting, great story Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  7. How funny! I'm pleased that Kirsty didn't feel too bad about all the laughing going on!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love bubble painting as well.....and whenever we did it with the children at school....at least one sucked instead of blew!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember bubble painting, it was fun - we like marbling as well (both with marbles and floating paint on water). Poor Kirsty, but glad she can laugh about it now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember bubble painting, it was fun - we like marbling as well (both with marbles and floating paint on water). Poor Kirsty, but glad she can laugh about it now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember bubble painting, it was fun - we like marbling as well (both with marbles and floating paint on water). Poor Kirsty, but glad she can laugh about it now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh poor Kirsty but I can see the funny side of it, I had a feeling that was going to happen as soon as you said that they had to suck up the painty bubbles I am surprised though that it didn't happen more often.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Alison, first of all thank you for the lovely introduction :)

    I think you would have been a really great Playleader! Poor Kirsty - though it does make a wonderful story. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is such a funny story. I remember making bubble pictures when I was at playgroup! xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh that's so funny! Poor Kirsty! I would have laughed too:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Alison!! There's always one. You have made me smile this morning. great story x

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's a great image you've painted there [no pun intended!] I can just tell it's one of those tales that will follow her around!

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh poor Kirsty! But made me smile - that is the sort of thing which always happened to me whenever I volunteered to helpat playgroups and such with daughter Number 1!

    ReplyDelete
  19. fabby story just as well it was your child, poor thing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh dear, poor Kirsty - that did sound funny though! If only you'd taken a photograph before cleaning her up ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. So funny! Your poor daughter. I remember bubble painting too :o)
    Fiona xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi,
    Such a cute story. thanks for sharing. Totally will try that painting technique for art journaling (but thanks to your daughter, I'll remember to be careful with the sucking part) ;-)
    Have a nice Sunday,
    Cheers from France

    ReplyDelete
  23. This did make me laugh, as I not only did the same as you and helped out at playgroup when my two were little, but I went on to become the deputy supervisor and we had a couple of occasions like Kirsty's! A great story! And yes, I think I still have my rosette in a box in the bedroom - I am going to have a look for it this evening and will let you know if I find it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have done this activity countless times with so many children and gotta say...Kirsty is the Queen of Bubble Sucking

    ReplyDelete
  25. These memories are priceless and I am glad she can see the funny side now. It's a shame that you can no longer use your Playgroup skills in Spain. I bet you were a great Playgroup mum.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you for the giggle :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hehehehehehe! You really had my giggling this month. I used to help out with crafts for our playgroup but as we had kids as young as 18months this was one activity we skipped. I can just picture it happening!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Lovely story Alison. I did bubble painting with my Rainbows just before Christmas as background for their calendars they were making and we used pearlised paint and it looked gorgeous. Fortunately no one sucked too much paint up though :O)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh, poor her, that sounds unpleasant, it brings a funny taste to my mouth just thinking about it! The picture looks great though, so I might have to try this activity with my daughter, explaining very carefully that she shouldn't suck up too much paint...! x

    ReplyDelete
  30. Giggles!!But, I can see Kristy'point of view too!:-) I love that bubble painting!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great story Alison - bubble painting always a favourite whatever your age!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Aaah - I think we all have a story like that with our little ones!I can't actually ever remember mine doing bubble painting...

    ReplyDelete
  33. I don't think I've ever done bubble painting. I must have been deprived... poor Kirsty - hope the stuff didn't taste too bad!

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a fun story! Poor little one! I don't know if the kids ever bubble painted, but it sounds fun. I just realized today that I wasn't following your blog, so I am a follower now! I'm hoping too to do a few more of the Creative Crop challenges. I enjoyed the two I was able to join in on. They always have such good stuff going on!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Haha - what a cute story. When I read your description of how bubble painting is done I thought, "Uh oh..." and then you confirmed my concern. Poor little Kirsty having paint in her mouth/nose AND being laughed at. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Poor Kirsty!! I imagine it was hard not to laugh when you saw her, and I bet Kirsty was more careful to blow after that!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I had a sneaky feeling where your story was going, poor girl! I'm glad she laughs at it now, I would have struggled to keep a straight face too at the time!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Your story is so funny---especially since I've never heard of that particular craft activity. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  39. LOL! That is a GREAT story! Thanks for the smile today.
    Rinda

    ReplyDelete
  40. LOL...fantastic story for Kirsty to forever remember. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I would think that blue paint up one's nose might be stuck in the memory for a very long time. TFS.

    ReplyDelete
  42. It's lovely to remember such things!! Once Reilly stuck 2 straws up his nostrils when we were at a restaurant and said "Look, I'm a Morris!" (he meant "look - I'm a walrus" - had us all rolling on the floor too...

    ReplyDelete
  43. Great story Alison but oh poor Kirsty. Glad that laughs at it now.
    BTW, never heard of bubble painting - sounds interesting if not a little dangerous. :)

    ReplyDelete
  44. Oh dear - poor Kirtsy - I'm glad it was blue paint not red - that would have been a scary sight to walk in on (let alone wash out of clothes!)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment....I love reading them all!